Checklist for a Student Visa Spain

If you’re a citizen of a non-EU member state, such as the UK or the USA, and you want to move to Spain and work here, you’ll need a visa. You might be considering various options, such as the Non-Lucrative Visa or the upcoming Digital Nomad Visa.  But have you considered the Student Visa in Spain?

The Spanish Student Visa allows you to work in conjunction with studying.  This type of visa is open to anyone of any age, not just people studying for a degree at a university. In fact, you can enrol at a language school to learn Spanish and apply for a student visa.

Yes – that’s right!  It is possible to learn Spanish at an accredited language school and work at the same time.

Student Visa in Spain: learn Spanish and work

Spain is a popular destination for international students, particularly in the main cities such Madrid and Barcelona. But you don’t have to be enrolled in a university to work part-time while studying in Spain.

As an international student with a student visa, you can work up to 30 hours per week while taking a Spanish language course at an accredited educational centre like a language academy.

Keep in mind that as a non-EU/EEA international student in Spain, you can only work part-time until your student visa expires. Your employer will need to apply for permission to hire you from the Foreign Nationals Office, which will grant you a work permit.

And, really importantly, speaking Spanish can increase your chances of finding a job in Spain on a more permanent basis, so being bilingual in Spanish and another language gives you a huge advantage.

Requirements for the Spanish Student Visa

The requirements for the Student Visa in Spain differ for EU and non-EU nationals.

EU/EEA Students

Requirements for EU/EEA students to work in Spain are the same as for Spaniards.  Such students are free to work without any restrictions.

Non-EU/EEA Students

Remember, the main purpose of this visa is to allow the non-EU/EEA student the ability to be able to study in Spain.  The requirements for non-EU/EEA students to study and work in Spain include:

  1. Obtain a work permit (the employer should make this application).
  2. Have another main means of financial support (the part-time work income should not be your primary source of income to fund your studies).
  3. The part-time work should not interfere with your studies and you can work up to a maximum of 30 hours per week.

Click here for information from the Spanish Government.

Can you continue to work in Spain after the Student Visa ends?

If you are an international student who has completed your studies in Spain and want to continue living and working in the country, you may be eligible for a post-study work visa. This type of visa allows you to stay in Spain for up to one year after you have finished your studies while you search for employment. If you are able to secure a job during this time, your residency permit will be changed to a normal employment permit.

The post-study work visa is a great opportunity for international students who want to continue living and working in Spain after they have completed their studies.

Ready to explore the Student Visa in Spain further?

Please do check out our Jobs Page or feel free to Contact Us for further information